December 29, 2011

Winter BG's, Amoxycilin and World War 2 cake

About 2 weeks ago I started to cough, some sort of chest infection, but nothing too serious. Once of my friends who is a GP suggest a useful metric  would be to avoid running if the infection was in the chest, but to continue with head colds. So I stopped running 2 weeks ago. However, I had agreed to pace 2 winter Bob Graham attempts and if you agree to something, unless you are going to do yourself serious harm or be a liability, you still turn up and show willing in my book.

Nick Clark winter BGR attempt is better documented here than I ever could. I was lined up for leg 4 with Yiannis and indeed I has started wondering up Yewbarrow a few minutes before Nick came into Wasdale and called it a day. The reasons were very valid and understandable if you were there.

Nick did not get round, but for me it was s success. I meet a bunch of new great people [Nick, Wynn, Ian et al], had a wonder over Moses Trod with Yiannis to Honister from Wasdale  [would have been a bit packed in the car otherwise] which was fun and I picked up his view on various rounds and how hard they were in comparison to the Bob Graham. The World War 2 cake and soup at Wasdale was just out of this world.

The following week I was going to pace leg 5 for Jim Mann. Jim set off, but found his ankle/knee giving him some trouble as leg 2 wore on. Sounded like they were up on schedule, but bailing was a sensible decision.

One of my reasons for starting Fell Running and to attempt the Bob Graham was to get properly fit as a way of life. I don't get many infection, but some can slow you down. This one was a xmas present from the kids and so I visited my GP this week as 2 weeks of coughing to the point you throw up seemed enough. He put a pulse monitor on my finger and with a concerned look asked if I felt faint. I said not. He then asked if I did a lot of exercise, I explained the fell running thing and he looked a lot happier that my heart rate was below 50 and commented that it was the same region as a elite athlete. Clearly he has not seen me run! One lung has some sort of bacterial infection and so we came out with a prescription for Amoxycilin and should be back running within 4 or 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment