August 31, 2010

by the next full moon ....

I was out doing my hill reps on Tuesday night while a good friend bribed by a choice of 1 of 7 bottled ales, watch the kids after they went to bed (actually he watched telly). I noticed the near full moon breaking through the clouds. Next full moon it will be time for the round. I know if I kept training I would get fitter, but I somehow feel ready. Does not mean I will get around in 24 hours, but I feel I am capable of it and as ready as I will ever be.

We have a really good set of pacers and supports lined up and Jim Mann who I met on leg 3 of Paul Jacksons round is going to have a crack at the BGR with me. Should be interesting how some who is very fit, but has not trained specifically for the round does.

Myra away at a conference last week, so much fun had with kids and really had to pack the running into 3 days. Still managed 12000ft, but not much more than 25 miles on the horizontal if that.

Monday : Kids
Tuesday : 1500ft of 3 x 500ft hill reps. Managed just under 12 minutes for 1 rep of hill fort to bus stop and back up (in dark) which is a new Clive record. Also 1st time out in the dark for a while.
Wednesday : kids, no time
Thursday : 1500ft 5 * 300 reps
Friday : 3 reps of Cader Idris from the east side so 3000ft x 3 and 18 miles in total. 12 seconds under 1 hour to the top while juggling a mobile phone talking to a customer who phones when I was within sight of the top and running across the rocks at the top. Still able to run quite fast at the end as time running out to pick up kids. Legs still a bit tired from day before, but a great day out. 1st ascent 59:48, 2nd and 3rd about 1.15 so all at a reasonable pace.
Saturday : helping kids learn how to body board at Mwnt
Sunday : kids all day

plan for next weekend is to do legs 1 & 2, following weekend the Peris Horseshoe and then 2 weeks taper. It would be rash to claim that the Peris Horseshoe is part of my taper!

After 2 and a half years of training, 9 months of more intense and specific training, I am looking forward to the next full moon and getting on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment