August 23, 2010

Sweden, German army motorcycle helmets and the strange world of Arthur Brown stop play




A combination of
  • A big day out on Saturday last week over legs 3 + 4 of the BGR
  • A week working in Sweden with a 8am meeting, a full day working and 7pm conf call
  • King family annual pilgrimage to the Beautiful Days festival in Devon
left little scope for training. I did run about 5 miles on saturday morning along some footpaths and stubble fields in rural Devon and can suggest with high level of confidence that I was the only festival attendee out of maybe 12,000 who put on a pair of running shoes and shorts and went out for a run. While waiting for a free portaloo I was talking to a chap wearing a german army motorbike helmet and a frock that my late grandmother would have found out of fashion. I made the point that I don't normally talk to men in a dress outside toilets and he made the point he does not normally wear a dress. I got more strange looks running out of the site at 9am, than a chap with a beard walking round all day in a frock and german army motorbike helmet which did not cause most of the festival 12,000 a second glance. Going for a morning festival run would have been a concept a little too far out for even The strange world of Arthur Brown.



Some weeks this is the price of having other great things in your life (family) and a job I have to admit I am blessed to enjoy most of the time. Always good to remember the BGR prime directive about collateral damage to the rest of your life. I could feel guilty about not training this week, but there is no point. The rest probably did me good and training hard when you are travel tired I have found to be counter productive.

I feel a serious week of hill reps coming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment