August 11, 2010

A round runs on its pacers

I decided to have a harder than usual set of mid-week hill reps and did 5,500 ft and 11 miles via 5 reps of my favoriate little track up and down Plynlimon from the west. 1000ft of climb in a mile is good value and the decent is soft and the terrain is varied, so it is good training for both climb and also getting fluent on the descents. I felt quite tried yesterday until I started running, then it seemed to come together. Sunset was out of this world and some dusk running allowed me to ease into getting my night running head back.

Of course, repeating the same path 5 times give some time to think about the BGR and the logistics. Since December 2009 I have been involved as a pacer in a Winter BGR, a BGR Ladies Relay and a Paddy attempt. This weekend I am pacing some folk for their BGR attempt. I have found being a pacer a wonderful experience, though at times rather sobering. I have been run into the ground twice only just being able to keep up (this seems to be a common experience and the rucksack is often blamed). There is so much to learn and its a great way to get to know new people, some you probably won't meet again, some you keep tripping over.

I am just about there in terms of pacers now. I don't know that many fell runners socially, so have had to reach out a little further and the response has been great. Some people have already booked things, but suggested others who might be free. People who I have only meet once in a dark lay-by at Dummail Raise or know by reputation have stepped up to the task. I just hope I can do them justice and am so thankful for their time and experience.

1 comment:

  1. Don't run me into the ground, Clive ;-) Don't let me down either ;-) ;-) I want to run with you to a triumphant finish. It'll be a memorable experience for me too!

    ReplyDelete