September 6, 2010

Last big day out

It must be a good sign when after 2 leg of the BGR you don't feel like you have had the life drained out from you.

Jim Mann and I did legs 1 & 2 on Sunday. Apart from the last hour from Grisdale Tarn, up Fairfield and Seat Sandle being a bit of a struggle for both of us (me a little more) because we were about a litre short on the amount of water we needed, things went very well.

We were about 20 minutes up on schedule at the end. We passed and gave appropriate encouragement to many competitors of the Helvelin Triathlon. I guess if you were fashion orientated, then one of these would make Triathlon more appealing than a pair of discounted Ron Hill shorts and a inside out Inov-8 top (it was dark when I got up, my excuse anyway).

We also engaged in some road crew training on Sunday with Myra very ably meeting us in Threkeld and Dummail with drinks and food.

Ideally, we would have at least climbed Steel Fell and maybe gone on a bit further, but I have the Peris next weekend and don't want to push it too far with only 6 days to recover.

Monday : 12 miles near Stratford-upon-Avon along foot paths and the Green Way. Very nice morning run starting from my Brothers house and ending up near Wellsborne.
Tuesday : Rest
Wednesday : 1000ft 2 reps fort to bus stop and back in dark
Thursday : Went out for a run, but heart not in it. Did some down hill training instead
Friday : 5 miles and 1000ft at a moderate pace
Saturday : Rest
Sunday : 11,000ft and 27 miles

12,000ft and 44 miles make it one of the best weeks in terms of Horizontal miles and 12,000ft is OK.

Starting the ramp down now. I am going to enter the Peris Horseshoe next weekend, but plan not to take it to the wire. I only really want to do better than 5 hours (last years time was 5.13) and not get injured.

Lots of planning to do, but we have a cracking set of pacers lined up. Am I ready? I feel ready to attempt it. If I get round is determined by those things you can control like the extent of your minerals, your planning for food, support, etc and those you can't such as weather, injury, the 2nd coming, etc. I have had enough of training, Thursday of this week showed that, which suggests its time to get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment