September 28, 2010

Bob Graham Round 1 Clive 0

Wimped out at Wasdale, about 1 hour and 20 minutes down on the schedule. Your head goes your legs soon follow.

Why? some strategic planning errors and not having my head in the right zone on leg 2. A round is a cruel beast which seeks out any weakness to stop you getting round. If you are on the margin of being able to do it, which I openly admit I was, then it does not take much to tip you off balance.

That said, it was still a fantastic experience. Weather was not a big problem, though it was very icy on top of the peaks on the 2nd half of leg 3. Leg 1 was magical and the most fun running I have ever done. The team, both pacers and support were brilliant in all aspects. I could not have picked a better random stranger than Jim Mann to do it with. Well done to Jim for getting round in 22 hours, doing leg 4 on a 16 hour schedule!

What it did prove to me is that I am capable of it, and with some spare time. My legs were not shot until my head told them to be. If my head was right in Wasdale my body was quite capable of carrying on.

Lots learned. I am not going to dwell on it or have a autopsy of the BGR experience. We know what went wrong, what needs to be changed and what went right and so much went right.

I am going to step out of the Bob Graham Round mindset for a few months. Running wise focus on getting 1.35 (7 minutes quicker than 2009) on the Cardington Cracker race in December, be Mark Smiths Winter BGR slave the following weekend and then start thinking about an other crack at it, probably in early May.

Myra and a friend as planning to cycle Wales, north to south, next year so I am now becoming Coach Clive as well.

What makes the BGR special is not the achievement, the mountains or the location, but the wonderful people we meet on the journey to and from Moot Hall.

Now, time to get a bit faster !

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for asking me to help, Clive. I'm sorry you had to call it a day at Wasdale. Next time you'll do it. I'll help again if you'll let me ;-)

    ReplyDelete