March 23, 2010

Wise words from David Tenant and Sarah Ridgeway

Wise words from both David Tennant and Sarah Ridgeway might explain some of my running in the last week.

David Tennant, while narrating Eddie Izzard's lots of marathons programme, mentioned it takes 3 weeks to recover from running a marathon. So I guess the same holds true for a 30 mile Ultra where you spend the following evening throwing up. Even though I took the post Ultra week off running, I was not running well last week( 7-14 days post Ultra), so only managed 5 or 6000ft of climb. A distinct lack of Hwyl on my part.

I did 11 miles and 3000ft on the local mountains last night at a much improved speed. The last 20 minutes was slower, but that was down to it getting dark and I did not take a torch. There was enough light to see, but not enough to go fast. The perceived improvement reminded me of a comment Sarah made along the lines of getting a post-ultra boost a couple of weeks after an ultra.

Was it being rested or the fabled post-ultra boost, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment