March 29, 2010

Peris Horseshoe++

I set out on Sunday to do 8 hours at a little better than BGR pace over a distance and ascent that was similar to legs 1 and 2, but carrying enough kit to be conformable and safe. I also aimed to get the hang of eating and drinking on the move, so I only stopped for 5 minutes on Y Llwedd and to take stuff out of the rucksack. So I picked that nice easy route(not) which follows the Peris Horseshoe to Moel Cynghorion, and then carried on along the ridge to Moel Eilio. My legs were still a little tired from 14 fast (for me anyway) miles on friday night.

All boxes ticked really. The ground between Y Llwedd and Snowdon is quite tricky and time consuming, so even with a bit less distance, the ground was a bit more of a challenge. What really pleased me was that I was still running comfortably when I got back to Llanberis and today my legs are not stiff. Moel Eilio is a really nice mountain to run on, and a new one for me.

I did ask myself the question when coming off Moel Eilio if I had it in me to do it all again, twice. However, with hand maidens keeping feed and watered and not having to carry anything other than myself, I would hope to arrive at the end of leg 2 in better condition than yesterday which is very postive indeed.

Discovery of the day was that Welsh Cakes are good mountain running food. I guess at about 100 calories each, made of flour, butter or lard, eggs, sugar, and currants and/or raisins you can't really go wrong. I found them quite easy to eat and they do make you want to drink, so I will make them part of the 25,000 calories on the day which brings me to my next subject .....

I like eating. This is positive for a Round as I should be able to keep eating the required 25,000 calories. This is also bad in that I am about 1/2 -> 3/4 of a stone heavier that I would wish to be for running. I lost 1/2 a stone within 3 months of taking up running, then my body fat reduced down to 16% and my weight stayed the same(give or take 4 pounds). I do still need to loose some more, so please feel able to email me on a regular basis to, or if we meet, call me a "fat bastard" until I publish on this page that the bathroom scales have have read 11.6 or less for 3 consecutive days.

Monday : 11 miles + 3000ft
Tuesday : 10 x 50 hills sprints
Wednesday : rest (away with work)
Thursday : rained and I could not be arsed
Friday : 14 miles along the Ystwyth Valley cycle track at 9.45 pace (fast more me and it is not flat all the way)
Saturday : carried buckets of rock for an hour
Sunday : Peris++ 22 miles and 10,500ft

So a total of about 47 miles and 13,500ft.


No comments:

Post a Comment