March 17, 2010

How fast?

My last post lead me to question how fast I could actually run a mile.

I had been visiting a customer in Birmingham and took the train from Cosford. I got back about 6.30 as it was getting dark. Next to Cosford railway station is an RAF base which has a sports centre and some rubgy/football fields which get some light from the 5 a side pitch flood lights.

Never one to make things easy for myself, I decided to see how fast I could run a mile using my Garmin to record time and distance. Only problem was I could only read it when running past the sports centre, which made pacing a bit of a challange.

I am sure I could have gone a bit faster if I had known in advance that 3 laps of the pitch was a mile. I got round in 6 minutes 43 seconds and felt I could have carried on at the same pace a bit longer, so clearly could go a little faster.

While this has little bearing on the BGR training, it was quite interesting to find I am not quite as slow as I thought on the flat, but I won't be gunning for a place in Team GB for the mile.

1 comment:

  1. The benchmark has been set Clive.

    Looking forward to reading about the sub 6 minute mile!

    ReplyDelete