April 13, 2011

Less frequent and more of it



The last few weeks I have traveled a lot with work. Paris and Milan last week which included an overnight on the train to Milan which was as step down the evolutionary ladder from the UK's Caladonian sleeper. Lots of sitting around and not much exercise.
At the moment I am in Long Island, New York. East from the hotel is a power station and west from the hotel is well known for Crack Dens, so I don't feel inclined to go out for an evening run. Though I am probably still recovering from last Friday to be honest.

However, the last week as included 2 super days of training. Early last week Jim Mann and I did leg 1 in a gale. We could just about stand up on Skiddaw. Soaked through, but probably the quickest I have done leg 1 at about 3 hours and 35 minutes. Easy get 15 minutes off that time in good weather. A most enjoyable morning other than the weather.

Friday was a beautiful day. I had got back from Milan and I was really tired on Thursday evening, given the weather I decided on the spur of the moment to return to the Lakes and did Newlands to Honister to Windy Gap to Esk Haus to Great End to Scarfel via Broadstand to Wasdale to Yewba****d to Pilar to Gable to Honister to Newlands in about 13 hours. I had a few work calls I had to took which took about 20 minutes and eat at honister on the way out, so probably about 12 hours over 13k of climb and close to 30 miles on some very rough ground. I found going back up Dale Head very hard, but did not stop and seemed to find new legs from Dale Head summit to the end (I missed out Robinson as it was just about dark by the time I got back to the car). Probably the best days training I have had and it felt good in a hard sort of way.

I am going to continue this training scheme of running myself into the ground once a week plus some bits for the remaining 3 weeks, though I hope that I won't be traveling work wise between the end of this week and the 13th of May. A job where travel is required is far from optimal for a BGR attempt, but we need to stay true to the BGR prime directive about it not having a severe adverse impact on home and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment