July 30, 2010

Last 6 week training plan

I thought I better write down a rough training plan for the last 6 weeks prior to my taper. I am doing 2 weeks of taper, with nothing really big 3 weeks before. I want to do the Peris Horseshoe 2 weeks before and coach Jon assures me that will be fine provided I keep eating.

The gaps I see which need filled are

  • Downhill. This is about making downhill running more fluent and energy efficient, rather than developing as competition to Mike Blake and Ian Holmes. I got most of my downhill head back during the Snowdon race, but a bit more style and efficiency would be very useful, particular when I start to get tired.
  • I want to over over the section from Esk Haus to Wasdale again, in particular the descent from Scarfell Pike to Mickledoor, I would like to solo Broadstand once again and do the descent from Scarfel at least once more.
  • Go over BGR section 2 at night
  • Parachute jump decent from Blencathera once again
  • I need to get my night running head back(I might still have it). I did a lot of night running over the winter and got very confortable with it. I have not run at night for about 3 months and something I my do at least some of before the 24/9/2010. I got to the point of thinking nothing of running the Long Mynd Valleys route starting at 8pm in Feburary and would like to get back to that state of mind.

The plan for the last 6 weeks

  • 3 reps of Cader Idris from the east. I have done 2, but not managed 3 yet
  • I am supporting some folks doing a clockwise rounds on the 14th of August. Will do whatever they want, but try to do 2 sections.
  • I have 3 days walking/climbing somewhere (Lakes or Scotland) with a friend of mine 1st week of August.
  • Run the whole Aberystwyth to Cardigan coast path on one go
  • Day wondering around Scarfell
  • Legs 1 + 2 at night on my own
  • 14 peaks in North Wales
  • Mid-week Long Mynd Valleys race route at pace
  • Peris Horseshoe (under 5 hours ?)

The above combined with hill reps and shorter, slightly faster runs (6-10 miles). 2 rest days a week and over 10k of climb every week, but at least 1 week in August as a lighter week should get me as close to where I need to be fitness wise as I can get in the remaining time.

I feel really positive about my prospects of getting round in 24 hours. It is going to be at the limit of what I can do and I will need everything to go right on the day to get round sub 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment