June 17, 2010

and then the sun came out

Monday : Rest

Tuesday : 12 miles on the bike, quite hilly

Wednesday : 5 miles + 1000ft somewhere near Brigands Inn at lunch time on return from seeing a customer in Telford and 8 miles and 1000ft in the evening from Clarach to Pen Dinas return. 2 runs in a day was a novelty for me.

Thursday : 2 reps from hill fort to bus stop. 2nd rep was in 12.33 which is the fastest to date and that was with a slow descent. Next target is sub-12 minutes.

Friday : rest

Saturday : 26 miles and about 7k of climb over the course of the Pumlumon Challenge, but with a few excursions to add in 4 extra hills. On a day like this, this range of hills is as beautiful as any in the UK. Other than at the top of Pumlumon dog and I saw no one. Did the route a little faster than last years race time, but took it a lot easier. Did stop for watch for about 20 minutes in the Hen Gwym valley while I pondered my place in the Universe, decided I was quite happy with it. I guess this valley is one of the most remote places in Wales. It was just so easy to chill out, it was a struggle to get going again. I think one of the best days I have had out in the hills. mid-Wales hills lack the majesty of areas like Snowdonia, the Lakes and Scotland, but they make up for it in remoteness and have their own charm. No wonder it makes the top 10 hills in Wales for this chap. Dog appeared as fresh after 26 miles as after 6, git. For the distance I found the running quite easy, in part because we went at a steady pace. Last few miles got a little harder, I think mainly because I did not eat in the last 1/2 of the run. Nuum tablets are a god send though. Felt strong on the hill climbs where the last were the same speed at the 1st.

The Challenge is the same day as the Peris Horseshoe, and 2 weeks before my BGR date, so I am opting to do the Peris as my last effort before tailing off and just aim to get in under 5 hours. I think with a push I could do much better, but lets see how much will power we have.


Sunday : took kids swimming. Nice to not feel wreaked after a long run.

So just meet the 10k feet of climb goal and about 40 miles, plus a good hard bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment