December 26, 2009

What, why, how

Yet another single issue blog which I hope will on run for 6 months. On a family holiday in The Lakes in Feb 2008, I decided to attempt the Bob Graham Round (42 peaks, 66 miles, 27,000ft of up and down and we hope less than 24 hours). I had read the book "Feet in the Clouds" and meeting a chap on top of the Old Man of Conniston who had done it a number of years before was the clincher.

I started doing fell faces just after, the 1st one finishing 3rd from last. Since then I have managed mid pack placing in medium A class fell races and a respectable time in some of the harder AL races. I have completed a couple of Ultra's with varying amounts of success, including the 53 mile Highland Fling during which I had a "out of mind" experience. What I do seem quite good at doing is setting challenges that are near or beyond the limits of my ability. I am not one of the worlds natural runners, so progress is hard one which makes it sweeter. I have a full time job and two great, but full on children and am keen to ensure neither suffers collateral damage from a BGR attempt.

The majority of my more interesting exploits have been documented on my work blog http://blogs.sun.com/clive, but somehow it does not seem right to document a training schedule and where my head is at there. Also it gets interspersed with bits of technology talk.

The nameless chap on top of Old Man of Conniston said as we parted company, "see you at the BGR dinner". This blog is about the last 6 months of the journey which may end up at the BGR dinner or just in a heap. Tentative date set today of the 26th of June 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment