December 27, 2009

Listen to the dog

A grand plan of 3 reps of Cader Idris went well in terms of an early start from the car park at 7am. Young Mr Fox was the only other inhabitant we saw on the way up the Minffordd Path. All went well, though conditions got more unpleasant the higher up you went, but in line with the forecast for some wind and rain. Underfoot was OK with no real ice to speak of and some nice soft snow patches higher up. When I got over the style at to top of Craig Cau the wind really got up and was pelting stinging icy snow into my face, but persisted for about 10m, then dog decided she had enough and turned round and went back over the style and started down the way we had come.

At that point I concluded that I don't choose to swim in rivers in winter and I don't enjoy rolling in snow. Neither was I breed to retrieve ducks that have just fallen out of the sky in sub zero conditions, all of which are are the case for a typical Golden Retriever, a breed known for disregarding the cold and wet. When dog decided that the weather was OTT, it is probably the right time to turn around.

1 comment:

  1. Like the blog Clive. I think its a good idea,it makes you get out and run, so you have something to write about!

    ReplyDelete