January 27, 2012

30@30

30 was a long time ago for me, but I was a little surprised and very pleased to be invited along to Andy Blacketts 30 birthday do where he was going to run 30 peaks across the Ulswater and Helvellin range in just about daylight.

He managed it(along with Jim Mann), despite 70 mile an hour winds.

When Clive is on top form and Andy and Jim has their legs tied together, Clive would still struggle to keep up with them. 6 weeks of chest infection, still coughing, common sense (of a sort) prevailed. 6 set off from Pooley Bridge early. We meet them for soup at the pub at Kirkstone Pass. Jim and Andy carried on from there to finish on Great Dodd where I planned to meet them.

In the morning I wondered up Cat Bells on my own, my 1st Lakeland hill that was not on the Bob Graham Round, shame on me I know. Cat Bells is quite small, but I almost got blown over while sitting down on the top.

In the afternoon I went up Great Dodd and sat in the shelter at the top as the wind blasted past. It was quite wild, but under my little nylon shelter all of me except my feet warmed up nicely. I should have a) worn a new pair of seal skin sock and b) taken a spare pair of socks with me. The SealSkins I had on have been good friends, but taken hell of a hammering, so don't keep your feet warm or dry now, so time to get a few new pairs I think.

About 30 minutes before Jim and Andy were scheduled to arrive my feet got so cold that I felt it wise to go. I tried walking towards Watson Dodd, but got blown back up the hill. Quite annoyed at myself for not taking a spare pair of socks and not being able to wait around for the lads, but going when I did was the right judgment.

Great weekend, nice to catch up with the lads, looking forward to Andy's BG which he looks very much on form to complete in a fast time and I ordered some new SealSkin socks when I got home, a complete weekend!










No comments:

Post a Comment