December 19, 2010

The dark side of the Bob Graham Round

The Bob Graham Round (I suspect any similar experiment in making the human body go up and down hills for 24 hours) seeks to expose any weakness it can find. It works away at the mind and body. Testing the character with hill after hill and rough terrain stretching out before you in your mind just that bit worse than the reality. Bad weather, darkness, coping with the inevitable slight navigation errors and other niggles is a stern test of inner strength of both pacers and the runner. So that is the kinder, sunny disposition of a summer BGR. A mid winter BGR shows a whole other darker side. 14 hours of darkness, endless sub zero temperatures, winds, limited visibility, hard ground, soft snow covering features and hazards make it a whole different ball game.

Second weekend running of BGR support. As with the previous weekend, great fun, but not with the outcome we all would have wanted. Jim Mann who completed the BGR back in September set himself a serious challenge. While I was off enjoying life a bit and getting my head set to start training again, Jim was doing 100 miles a week and getting to know the route much better.

I was to navigate leg 5 and also to provide a limited service cafe at Hare Crag on leg 1. I really enjoyed the walk in along the Cumbrian Way. The light was on as I passed Skiddaw Haus, probably just a candle, but someone was in residence. I got to the crossing point on the land rover track about 15 minutes before the group who set off at 9pm passed thorough and tied a flashing LED dog collar to the Hawthorn tree to guide them in as they came down from Skiddaw.
At 10am it was still enough to hear the voice of the runners on top of Skiddaw and easy to see their torch light.

1st group must have been a bit curious what they were running towards(a rave maybe), but had a very brief hot orange and golden syrup cake stop and headed up Calva. About 20 minute later Jim arrived minus navigator who they had left behind (with his consent of course). Dave Hindly, a class act as a navigator, is a faster plodder than me, but still a plodder. To pace Jim on the 1st 2 legs of the BGR you need to be a bit of a racing snake. Coffee and cake consumed and they disappeared up Calva. It appears that the pacer with Jim asked who was the chap with me. Jim pointed out there was no one and a bit of "yes there was", "no there was not" exchange went on the trog up Calva I was later told. I can confirm that to be best of my knowledge I was on my own at that point. Spooky hey.

A sweaty and puffing Dave Hindly turned up about 15 minutes later. We then waited about 20 minutes for the solo runner( See Baggins on page 4). We could see his light on Skiddaw and thought we better wait as a 4 hour leg in the dark on your own, even a sip of hot juice and bit of cake and 15 seconds of human company must life your spirits a bit. We then walked down to Threkeld just in time for Jim to barrel through have some Carbona and coffee thrown at him. Appears he had some fun trying to descend Sharp Edge. Not a route I know, but seems to be one to be treated with respect. More so since he came back up it again. Various bag swapping chaos ensued in Jim's wake and pacers from various groups appeared and then things returned to order. It was 2am and I had a fantastic evening. Most of it on my own, but the situation was great. Being in the middle of the mountains in moon light were great. So were my 5 layers of clothing. I was not cold, but once you stop you chill very quickly. Dave Hindly and I had a great chat on the way down to Threkeld.

Most of the next day I spent eating and drinking tea after an early aborted attempt to get to Newlands to look at the descent from Robinson. In a Volvo which gets stuck on the flat, no way.

The leg 5 crew were thinking about getting ready for the trip to Newlands, when we got a text that it was off. Disappointed that Jim did not get his crack at the mid-winter record, but all down safe. I am sure the rest of the story will be told on the fell runner forum, its not my story to tell. Hell of an achievement just the same given the conditions.

While waiting for the runners and support crew to return to the house, the three of us in the leg 5 crew went off to Threkeld to stretch our legs and I had a look at the lower second of the parachute jump descent again.

Both weekends had great people and great efforts by all involved. Mark I really feel for as his calf tore after 45+ miles. Jim just was unlucky with the conditions. The most respect to both of them.

After the last 2 weekends, my mojo for the BGR is back, but lets be very clear. I enjoy winter running, but the only BGR attempt I will ever make will be a summer one.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, look at this blog I've just 'stumbled' across after you mentioned it this morning! Very disappointed conditions were against Jim but I'm sure he'll do it next time. Didn't realise you'd set a date for your next BG attempt but if you want any road support (or a syrup cake served to you by a hawthorn bush) then let me know and I'd be very happy to help. Oh, and make sure you keep your miles up etc. (That's my 'hard advice' section of the comment, as per your request).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syrup cake? Hawthorn bush?
    Hope your getting them hills in Clive!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for waiting for me to come through Clive it was very much appreciated.
    I'll be helping Jim if he has another go in the next few weeks then I'll try again in Feb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great report, Clive. It's good to hear the weekend enhanced your mojo.

    ReplyDelete