May 9, 2010

Google 3D : makes the BGR route look much easier

Intrigued by talk of the Parachute jump descent from Blencathra, I went to have a look how steep it might be on Google maps which now has a 3D option. I have stood at the top of Blencathra and looked in that direction before heading off Dodick Fell in the snow. With snow cover it was hard to get a true feel of how steep it was. Google 3D really does make the slopes appear much gentler than I remember them. Halls Fell does not seen that steep on Google 3D, but I know it is tricker than tricky in bad weather.

While you will not learn the route and Broad Stand below looks somewhat easier than it is in reality, it is quite good for giving you the big picture and some sense of of relative location.


View Larger Map

This week has been a week of 2 halfs. The 1st half recovering from last weekends efforts and being taken away with work to the flat lands of Berkshire.

Monday : rest

Tuesday : early start and work near Reading. Did manage a few miles walking some woods

Wednesday : Work near Reading. I did intend to do a short run to break up the drive home, but was too late by the time I got back into Wales.

Thursday : That election thing meant the kids were at home and I needed to play catch up in the evening, so only managed some hill sprints ( 50ft * 10)

Friday : 10 * 250ft split in two parts to account for kids coming home. The best session to date on the hill behind the house. A challenge to do more than 10 reps in an hour has been born.

Saturday : Duty manager this weekend for which responsibility was handed over to the US at 4pm, so headed of with dog for 2 reps of Cader Idris which is 2 x 3000ft. Got down at about 9pm. I did think of doing a 3rd rep, but it would have been very late by the time I got home.
I would like to use the excuse that the dog look tired, but I would be talking rubbish.
Felt quite good when I finished, apart from some knee pain. Eating and drinking more while moving would have helped even more.

Sunday : Duty manager again and a physical day splitting fire wood, but really a rest day

Weeks total : 9000ft and about 15 miles.

While packing the weeks climb into 2 days, this was a week lacking in distance, but was OK given the other constraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment