July 25, 2010

Snowdon race : not what I expected

The third time I had run this race and I was expecting a time around 1 hour 50, a little slower than last year. That was OK given the shape of my Bob Graham training, along with the prime directive of not getting hurt. The reality turned out quite different.

A wet day in Llanberis, the race started by Kenny Stuart who holds the record and with Wilson Chemweno in the field, despite the best efforts of the UK Immigration Service. We avoided the heat of the previous 2 years for sure. About a mile in I found it easier than I expected and pushed on with a combination of run and walk. I got to the 1/2 way tea station in 31 minutes (last year was about 35) and I was struggling far less than previous years. My heart rate was between 161 and 168 all the way up, if it got above about 165 I found I get tired very quick, and less than 165 I felt I could do more. In previous years I have passed the descending runners at the 2nd tunnel under the railway, this year I was about 150 meters up the hill past the 2nd tunnel when Robbie and Wilson passed coming the other way which was a sign that either they were much slower than last years winner or I was a little quicker.

I could have run a little more as the hill gets gentler, but I opted to walk mostly as I was started to get a bit cold (it was very wet and a good stiff breeze into your face). I got to the top in 1.06 (5 minutes faster than last year) which was a bit of a surprise.

I think I lost my downhill head when I fell over during the Long Mynd Valleys Race in February. Whatever happened I got it back yesterday and managed to deactivate that bit of your brain intent on self preservation as I went over the timing mat on the summit of Snowdon. Looking at the results I was number 202 to the top of Snowdon and 164 on the descent, I felt for me at least I was going as fast as I could on the downhill. I took a few wrong lines which slowed me down a little on the hill before the top tunnel under the railway and I felt really tired running along the road past the houses in Llanberis. The rest of the descent I felt I was going as fast as I was capable of without knowing the decent better. I managed a sprint finish within 100m of the finish when I noticed 2 people on my shoulder.

1:40:37 was 10 minutes faster than I expected and 7 minutes faster than last year. This is a good confidence boost for my Bob Graham where one of my big concerns was that I would just be too slow on the early sections. While I intend to travel much slower on the day, it s is good to know the training has had some effect, even at shorter distances and it was really promising that I could just keep the work rate up on the step hills.

With more specific training I am sure I could get an other 5 minutes off my time next year. I found on the way up I was having to walk sections others were running (part tactics, but part because my heart rate when up to 168), but thats OK, I have done little training for running up hills. All the last 9 months has been about preparation to walk up lots of hills fast, trot down them, repeat 42 times.

Anyway, I am very pleased with my run. I am also pleased not to have injured myself. Nice to have the kids meet you at the end, even though the weather did dampen the usual festival atmosphere. I do love running past the Victoria Hotel 200m from the finish in an Eryri vest and being cheered on by the crowd. I am not normally into that sort of thing, but in this case it is a very uplifting experience and as with last year it is one of those things that makes the race special.

9000ft in total this week, no very long runs, but some great fun

Monday : In London. 3 miles and 1000ft on hills near Welshpool in the rain

Tuesday : rest

Wednesday : Clarach to Borth 2000ft and 7 miles

Thursday : 6 x 330ft on hill at far end of Tanybwlch beach

Friday : rest

Saturday : Snowdon race (4000ft and 11 miles if you include warm up)

No comments:

Post a Comment