February 13, 2011

Enjoying something you really should not have done

I did the Tarren Hendre race in mid Wales and had a blast. I really enjoyed it. Flat out for the 70 minutes and despite going up an extra hill which lost me about 3 minutes [much to the amusement of Mr Blake] felt I ran well. At 6m miles and 2000ft it was not a long race by any means, but I felt on form. I did a 2 miles and 500ft warm up in the hour before which probably helped a lot. Deciding to do this race and really going for it (even managed to fall over into mud on the descent through the upper forestry) meant I did not hit 10k of climb this week and my legs were stiff on Sunday in a way they were not from doing 3 times the distance 2 weeks earlier. I don't want to do many of these, but the change from plod training and the intensity did me a lot of good. Must recie it before next year, at least 5 minutes to come off the time easily.

Monday : 1500ft and 8 miles on Plummon in the dark
Tuesday : rest
Wednesday : 2000ft and 3.5 miles via 6 hill reps [ clockwise up the steep bit, down the more gentle slope ]
Wednesday : 2000ft and 3.5 miles via 6 hill reps [ anitclocksize and down the steep hill ]
Friday : rest
Saturday : Tarren Hendre race 2 miles and 500ft warm up and 2000ft and 6 miles of race
Sunday : 500ft of walking up hill with dog twice

So about 8k of climb and 23 miles this week. Short of target across both dimensions, but somehow I don't feel disappointed at all, it was just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment